Re: Beater economics

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 22:45:39 EDT

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> If you're really that hard up, sell the Dakota, get an 80s Civic or
> maybe a Metro (I'd trust the Civic to need less work). Will be the
> best mileage from a cheap car that you'll get, and it's not like
> you'll find something that you really *like* in that price range that
> will also get significantly-enough improved mileage to justify it.
> Might be able to find one with ABS and auto seatbelts for maximum
> insurance discounts....

FWIW, I recently picked up a '93 civic lx for $600. It's ugly, but it runs
great and has delivered 39mpg for the first 4 tanks of fuel I've run
through it. Including the registration costs, purchase price and insurance
it needs to run for ~9 months to pay for itself (in fuel savings vs.
driving the dakota to work). As a bonus, my dakota isn't piling up miles
daily...

Craig