Re: Beater economics

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 23:41:35 EDT

--- Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> Ray Irons wrote:
> > Why not look into the possibility of buying a used
> > motorcycle for summer commuting and hang onto the
> Dak
> > for extremely cold weather/snow day commuting?
> >

> I thought about that, but then quickly remembered
> that I'm way too much
> of a spaz to be trusted on a motorcycle, especially
> with the traffic
> around here
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:401atDVP.jpg).
> I'm
> pretty sure I'd probably kill myself within the
> first month.
>
> Okay, seriously, there are several practical reasons
> why I decided
> against that idea. Thanks for the suggestion,
> though.

If you take the MSF beginners course, you'd be ok.
Trust me, I was all set to be an instructor and I saw
some of the most spastic people I ever saw in my life
taking that course. Some of those people I nearly
believed would kill themselves if they went out in
traffic WITHOUT taking the course. If nothing else, do
a little online research and see of a course is
offered in your area. Most of the courses for the
begining riders they supply the bikes. You supply the
gear and the willingness to learn. There is a bit of
classroom time and some riding range time. Its not a
track day, they will not teach you how to ride like
Ben Spies or Mat Maladin at Daytona, but they will
teach you how to safely ride the street. A lot of
insurance companies will also give you a break on your
insurance after you've completed a rider safety
course.

Look at Teribble Tom, he has a bike and he is still
with us.

Ray

Some risk is necessary in life. Without risk, the new world wouldn't have been discovered, man wouldn't have landed on the moon and we wouldn't ride motorcycles.