Re: RE: 318 pinging; programming updates

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 21:31:04 EDT

"Jamie Calder" <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> That's one TSB I never heard of before and I thought I knew them
> all for our Dakotas! Can a higher quality wire (MSD, etc) help or
> eliminate the problem? I guess I need to check the routing of my
> wires. It may solve the mysterious hesitation I feel once in a
> while. However it's on my '93 and the TSB is for '94 and up.
> Wonder why...

   Yes, a better quality wire with more insulation will help.
Basically, the more space you can put between the wire conductors, the
better. A wire with thicker, better quality insulation is one way to
do it so that when wires do touch, there is more space between the
conductors, and re-routing the wires is another way to do it by putting
more air between the wires or making it so that they don't touch at
all.

   Apparently, induction firing is more of a problem with the
el-cheapo wire sets that one might pick up in an auto parts store.
The factory wire is probably better than that (though not necessarily)
but not quite as good as a high quality aftermarket set. Another thing
that can happen is as the insulation ages and/or cracks, the sparks
can jump through those cracks to other wires or grounded metal parts
on the engine. If you can run the engine on a really dark night or in
a garage with all the lights off, you can see the sparks. (Obviously,
do not run the engine in an enclosed garage for very long.) ;-)

   As far as why it is for '94-up, I'm not sure. I know the exhaust
manifolds on the '92-93 engines were bigger, maybe that transferred
more heat out of the engine and the pinging isn't as much a problem?
I dunno, that's just a wild guess. '94 was also the first year for
the return-less fuel line plumbing, but I can't see how that would
increase the likelihood for pinging.

--
                                          -Jon-