RE: Steering Box questions 98 - 99

From: Hop * (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 13:55:45 EDT

The system has no air in it.
I uised regular power steering fluid in it.
I wonder if I switch it out to atf if it will help?
Seems like it doesn't have enough pressure.
Maybe my pump is getting weak and i need to go with a thicker viscocity oil.
--Hop

>From: "Marc W. Grobe" <mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com>
>To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
>Subject: RE: DML: Steering Box questions 98 - 99
>Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:06:23 -0500
>

>The FSM should state to use ATF+4. In a Chrysler transmission I could
>see why the use of ATF+4 is necessary, but in a steering box I am less
>than convinced. I personally am going to use a synthetic ATF that is
>ATF+4 compliant (by coincidence) and that's it. I am going to purge the
>system of as much of the original fluid and refill with fresh ATF. From
>what I read ATF and power steering fluid are close enough to be a swap
>in power steering systems. Many ATF bottles include a mention that they
>are power steering compatible in addition to the obvious usage in
>transmissions. Many cars roll off the assembly line with ATF in the
>steering pump as it is one less fluid to deal with. The only exception
>typically with foreign cars. Some use some other special fluid that is
>thinner.
>
>This brings up another question. Did you burp the system when
>refilling? Maybe you are just low on fluid?
>
>-Marc-

Don’t quit your job – Take Classes Online and Earn your Degree in 1 year.
Start Today!
http://www.classesusa.com/clickcount.cfm?id=866146&goto=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.classesusa.com%2Ffeaturedschools%2Fonlinedegreesmp%2Fform-dyn1.html%3Fsplovr%3D866144