RE: Steering Box questions 98 - 99

From: Marc W. Grobe (mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 13:06:23 EDT

The FSM should state to use ATF+4. In a Chrysler transmission I could
see why the use of ATF+4 is necessary, but in a steering box I am less
than convinced. I personally am going to use a synthetic ATF that is
ATF+4 compliant (by coincidence) and that's it. I am going to purge the
system of as much of the original fluid and refill with fresh ATF. From
what I read ATF and power steering fluid are close enough to be a swap
in power steering systems. Many ATF bottles include a mention that they
are power steering compatible in addition to the obvious usage in
transmissions. Many cars roll off the assembly line with ATF in the
steering pump as it is one less fluid to deal with. The only exception
typically with foreign cars. Some use some other special fluid that is
thinner.

This brings up another question. Did you burp the system when
refilling? Maybe you are just low on fluid?

-Marc-