Re: Fuel pump, or Splice of Death?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 22:06:32 EDT

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
> In article <f0pe86$1pp$1@bent.twistedbits.net>, jon@dakota-truck.net
> writes:
> > While you are fiddling with the relays, you probably have a relay
> > which is identical to the fuel pump relay in the PDC powering
> > something else - swap them to eliminate the relay itself as a
> > suspect.

> I already swapped it with the A/C relay. No good. Why I have an
> A/C relay on a truck with no A/C is beyond me.

   To test your fuel pump relay, of course! ;-)

> > BTW, I know you were planning to head down here in a little bit
> > to do some tune-up work, I'd be glad to help you chase this
> > down or replace the pump, etc. but of course the catch is its a
> > bit hard to drive down without a working fuel system. :-) If
> > you were to rent a dolly, Norah's dak could easily handle
> > towing the '95, and if the problem turned out to be something
> > more, you would have the option of leaving it here temporarily
> > since you'd still have a ride home.

> Thanks, that's an option I'm considering. Especially after checking
> a few prices. AutoZone has the pump assembly for $200. So far, the
> cheapest I've been able to find locally is $360 Cdn (which converts
> to about $310 US). I can rent a trailer for the day for $50, and
> with the difference in MPG it's reasonably even from a cost
> standpoint.

    Ah yes, that's right with the 4x4 you'd probably be looking at a
trailer rather than a dolly. (I suppose you could disconnect the
driveshaft, but probably just as easy to use a trailer.) What might
not be so easy is getting the Dak on the trailer. :-) Unless you've
got a comealong or two, your best bet might be to bypass the neutral
safety switch and use the starter motor to drive it up onto the
trailer in 1st gear. (If it doesn't have enough guts to do that,
popping it into 4LO should do the trick.) Either that, or find a big
hill to park the trailer at the bottom of and use the patented Mike
Maskalans / Dukes of Hazzard trailer loading technique. :-)

    Assuming that your Dak is pulled nose-first into your driveway,
you might be tempted to back the trailer into your driveway and let
the Dak roll back down onto the trailer, but if at all possible, I
would really recommend trying to load the Dak facing forward on the
trailer if at all possible. Having the heavy end of the Dak behind
the trailer wheels is likely to cause you all sorts of stability
problems...

> Having the lift to help out would certainly be nice.

   Yep, I use it to pull beds off all the time; just unbolt the bed,
disconnect the lights and the fuel filler, position the arms under the
bed and its up and out of the way. :-)

> Towing it behind our truck might work out better. Of
> course, U-Haul's web site doesn't think a Dakota is up to the task
> of towing another Dakota (don't tell Mike). Oh, did I say I was
> towing a '95 Dakota? I meant to say "Neon". That's better :-).

   Heheheh! Two Maskalans patented procedures in the same post!
(Although I believe the official Mike technique is to inform U-haul
that it is a K-car as opposed to a Neon, but lets not sweat the small
stuff.) :-)

> > (Hmmm, if I didn't know better, I might have suspected that your
> > Dak was reading over your shoulder during the "Beater Economics"
> > thread!) ;-)

> LOL... I guess it's still mad at me. Think I should buy it a nice
> bouquet of floral scented air fresheners?

    That might work. Or, I saw in a magazine recently that they are
coming out with tires which give off a lavender scent when you do a
burnout instead of the usual "burning rubber" smell; perhaps something
along those lines would do the trick. :-) You could also try reverse
psychology (Say "Neener, neener! You've got a dead fuel pump and
can't start!", just prior to turning the key) or perhaps some fear
based motivation is in order, such as showing it nonstop episodes of
"Monster Garage" or "Monster Jam". If all else fails, never forget
that you have in your arsenal the most feared and awesome weapon ever
created - invocation of the "T" word! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-