Re: RE: Alternator Upgrades

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 16:40:09 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@dodgetrucks.org> wrote:

> The alternator amperage rating won't really help...it's the underdrive
> pulley that's causing the low charging rate. I had both the alternator and
> crank underdrive pulley's on my truck for a while and with the same problem
> (running larger ground and power feed wires and the 135amp alternator).
> Best bet: get rid of the underdrive alternator pulley and stick with just
> the crank pulley.

    Yep, I don't know if any studies have been done on this or not,
but I can't imagine there is much horsepower to be gained by
underdriving the alternator anyway... When I switched to underdrive
pullies on my Dak many moons ago, charging at idle was nonexistent.
The lights would dim, and the needle would dip WAY to the left, etc.
I reinstalled my stock alternator pulley which was better but still
not great, then I got an overdrive pulley from fellow DMLer John
Burgan at Carlisle one year, and that did the trick. (Its a smaller
pulley than stock so it counteracts the underdriven crank pulley to
bring the rpm of the alternator pulley back up to about where it would
be stock.) I'm not sure who makes these or where you would get them,
but I'm sure they must be available out there somewhere. Might be an
option for you to consider - its certainly cheaper than a new alternator
at any rate! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-