RE: RE: Alternator Upgrades

From: John Burgan (jburgan3@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 21:41:52 EDT

>>>Yep, I don't know if any studies have been done on this or not, but I
can't imagine there is much horsepower to be gained by underdriving the
alternator anyway... When I switched to underdrive pullies on my Dak
many moons ago, charging at idle was nonexistent. The lights would dim,
and the needle would dip WAY to the left, etc. I reinstalled my stock
alternator pulley which was better but still not great, then I got an
overdrive pulley from fellow DMLer John Burgan at Carlisle one year, and
that did the trick. (Its a smaller pulley than stock so it counteracts
the underdriven crank pulley to bring the rpm of the alternator pulley
back up to about where it would be stock.) I'm not sure who makes these
or where you would get them, but I'm sure they must be available out
there somewhere. Might be an option for you to consider - its certainly
cheaper than a new alternator at any rate! :-)

I purchased that pulley directly from March for my '96. I called them
about my truck showing discharge at idle and that is the pulley they
recommended.

-John