RE: Re: RE: I win...sorta

From: biff byrum (bbyrum9@foothill.net)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 17:22:02 EDT

Rick, we could have a good 60 post discussion on the subject. And we might
not still get the right answer. And what's right for one person might not
fit everyone. For instance, I am on the road over 50% of my miles. And the
street in front of my house is about 23 feet above sea level. Warm, dry
climate.

You could be using the exact right combination for your area. If your's was
a 96 and below with Multi-port injection, 3923 or 3924 gapped at .035 is
exactly what a dealer would have put in for you.

The difference in 1997 is that CC changed to a hotter coil with about the
exact specs of an Accel 140021. This is what made it possible to go to .040
because the hotter spark needs the extra .005 to make use of the voltage.

I'm looking at both plugs right now. The plugs are identical except for a
slightly longer ceramic, about .030 inches. The big difference is the total
length beyond the thread. The tip of a 5224 extends about .080 to .090
further into the chamber. That in itself is a good argument waiting to
happen. Some people say that's cool, some say it doesn't do a damn thing and
they get all the power they need from the shorter plug.

Perhaps the Bernd can tell us if there was a change in the chamber design
between 1996 and 1997 that would have made it safer to use the longer plug.
That is if he's not still thing about "not going in as far being better." I
saw that, Bernd.

If you're running a 3923 gapped at .040 or .042, you're probably not hurting
your engine one bit. Biff