Re: Re: RE: I win...sorta

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 20:27:01 EDT

biff byrum wrote:

> Rick, we could have a good 60 post discussion on the subject. And we might
> not still get the right answer. And what's right for one person might not
> fit everyone. For instance, I am on the road over 50% of my miles. And the
> street in front of my house is about 23 feet above sea level. Warm, dry
> climate.
>
> You could be using the exact right combination for your area. If your's was
> a 96 and below with Multi-port injection, 3923 or 3924 gapped at .035 is
> exactly what a dealer would have put in for you.
>
> The difference in 1997 is that CC changed to a hotter coil with about the
> exact specs of an Accel 140021. This is what made it possible to go to .040
> because the hotter spark needs the extra .005 to make use of the voltage.
>
> I'm looking at both plugs right now. The plugs are identical except for a
> slightly longer ceramic, about .030 inches. The big difference is the total
> length beyond the thread. The tip of a 5224 extends about .080 to .090
> further into the chamber. That in itself is a good argument waiting to
> happen. Some people say that's cool, some say it doesn't do a damn thing and
> they get all the power they need from the shorter plug.
>
> Perhaps the Bernd can tell us if there was a change in the chamber design
> between 1996 and 1997 that would have made it safer to use the longer plug.
> That is if he's not still thing about "not going in as far being better." I
> saw that, Bernd.
>
> If you're running a 3923 gapped at .040 or .042, you're probably not hurting
> your engine one bit. Biff

hmmm - my Ram is an 01 and uses the 5224 Autolite as a stock plug
design/heat range... I switched to 3923's a couple years ago. I
honestly don't remember what I set the gap to. Perhaps its time to pull
the plugs and see whats going on. Perhaps I should switch back to the
5224's and see if it runs better.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine