Challenge: Identify the part?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2007 - 20:35:45 EDT

The first hint is that this:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004793.jpg

came out of my Dak last night. Identify the part, and win a shiney new dime.

Second hint:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004794.jpg

Third:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004795.jpg

By now, you should have been able to guess what it was. But, just in case,
this one:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004796.jpg

totally gives it away.

So Friday night, driving home, I got this really loud scraping sound from my
right rear wheel while braking. I figured that probably wasn't good. So once
I got home, I pulled the wheel and drum off and found the remains of the
autoadjuster wrapped around the front brake shoe.

On the bright side, I have nice new drums and shoes here waiting to be put in,
but I've been busy and hadn't gotten to it yet. So, the old shoes got a bit
beat up, and maybe the old drums got a bit more scored and nasty, but they're
being replaced anyway so I don't care.

What looks like happened is that either the pivot pin for the autoadjuster
spring got loose from the backing plate, or the spring broke. Either way, the
remains of the spring, the pin, and the adjuster lever all dropped down in to
the drum, where they got nicely mangled as they were used to stop the wheel a
few times.

I've been to the NAPA, and bought their $15 repair kit for this, which
includes not only the pin, the spring, and the lever, but the star-wheel
adjuster assembly as well. Not bad for the price really.

What's supposed to keep the pin from leaving the backing plate, though? There
doesn't seem to be any kind of retainer clip or anything. Does it just get
held there by the spring tension?