Re: Torsion Bar "Key Lift"

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 07:21:53 EDT

Ahem... lesser years, huh?

Anyway, I'm quite happy with the no-lift-kit height on my 89. I
actually have a body lift kit that I havn't installed (I *may* get to
it some day) because it's more for looks than for clearance and I
don't have the time. Being a Gen1, this will be a bit different than
yours, but the only thing a body lift will gain me is slightly better
tire clearance... and I do mean slightly. I've already got 31s on
it... I could maybe squeeze 33s with the body lift and correctly
backspaced rims. I'd really love to install a suspension lift (see
also Walt's truck), but I can't afford it.

So I "lifted" it by cranking the torsion bars 2". I lucked out in that
I had some tire rub before and just about eliminated it when I cranked
the bars (without any other adjustments). When I finished cranking and
let the suspension settle out, I started measuring to make tie rod,
etc. adjustments and found I was just about where I wanted to be
anyway. I also put some overload springs in the rear to help keep it
level for the occasional heavy loads.

Tom, what should we do about Mike's 'lesser years' comment?

Don in CT
89 Dakota Convertible 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340
www.pbase.com/radon220/mopars/