Shocks.

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 16:53:00 EDT

So I took my truck to the local STS today for some regular maintenance.
The mechanic called me and told me that my shocks needed to be replaced. I
forgot exactly what he said the problem was but I told him I didn't want
to take care of that today. Mostly because I didn't want to shell out the
cash this time around.

The estimate from them for replacing all four shocks was around $500. I
looked online at the DML FAQ on the process and it doesn't seem like it
would be too difficult for me to take care of myself. The biggest problem
I have is that my tool inventory is small. I don't have any jacks (aside
 from the factory) or jack stands. Do you guys think it will be too
difficult to do without lifting the truck up? There is definately plenty
of room for me to get under the back end. Now that I am thinking about it,
I don't think I can do the front without holding it up with something with
the wheel off.

It will defeat the purpose of me doing it myself if I spend alot of money
on new tools to do that job. I don't know much about mechanic work so the
things I buy won't get much use in the future.

Opinions on new shocks? I've loved the way my truck rode since the day I
bought it. I don't do anythign special with my truck. Pretty much just
stay on the road so I don't have any special needs. Should I get OEM's,
something from the local parts store?

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure