Re: Shocks.

From: Chris Reck (chris92@insightbb.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 22:56:59 EDT

Hi,

I've done my shocks numerous times. The rears are very easy. No need for
jacking or anything. For the lowers, just need two wrenches (or a socket
and a wrench) to undo them. The uppers, just a socket on the bolt (OEM on
my trucl has a special nut with a tab that stops it from spinning).

I favor Rancho RSX shocks myself. If you do these, the metal sleeve of the
shock tends to bounce a bit on the bolt (bolt is a just a tad too small for
the sleeve. I fixed my problem by taking one strip of electrical tape,
laying it lengthwize along the bolt, then pushing that through. No mo
clanking!

For the fronts, you may be able to do without the jack stands. Just take
the jack and lift the frame till the tire is off the ground. Then take an
amount of 2x4 (laying flat) until the stack reaches the control arm. Lower
the jack until the shock just starts to compress. Undo the bolts and you're
set.

The pain is compressing the shocks so that the bolts will slide in. I found
the best way was to take a open-ended wrench, wedge it against the ground
(open end under the shock), and slide the wrench up until you can get the
bolt in.

I hope that this helps and that 2003 trucks are not much different than
1999.

Chris Reck
Bloomington, IL

'99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 V6 (Deep Amethyst)
"It's not the meat, it's how you apply the rub"