Re: Shocks.

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 21:05:37 EDT

On 05/19/2007 16:55, droo wrote:

> So I took my truck to the local STS today for some regular maintenance.
> The mechanic called me and told me that my shocks needed to be replaced.

Well, depending on who you ask, some (myself included) might say they
needed to be replaced 5 minutes after you signed the papers at the dealer.

> The estimate from them for replacing all four shocks was around $500.

I hope those are high-end shocks he's putting on there. With experience,
a lift and air tools, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours for him to
replace them. At $75/hour labor, that leaves $350 for shocks.

> looked online at the DML FAQ on the process and it doesn't seem like it
> would be too difficult for me to take care of myself. The biggest
> problem I have is that my tool inventory is small. I don't have any
> jacks (aside from the factory) or jack stands. Do you guys think it will
> be too difficult to do without lifting the truck up? There is definately
> plenty of room for me to get under the back end. Now that I am thinking
> about it, I don't think I can do the front without holding it up with
> something with the wheel off.

It's pretty easy, on a 1-5 difficulty scale it's about a 2 (for a
first-timer). You do need to remove the front wheels and keep the truck
in the air, and that means yes you need jackstands. The rears can be
done with the truck on the ground, but it's easier if you lift it.

> It will defeat the purpose of me doing it myself if I spend alot of
> money on new tools to do that job. I don't know much about mechanic work
> so the things I buy won't get much use in the future.

You really only need a decent set of sockets to do the job, plus the
jackstands. You'll use both in the future.

> Opinions on new shocks? I've loved the way my truck rode since the day I
> bought it. I don't do anythign special with my truck. Pretty much just
> stay on the road so I don't have any special needs. Should I get OEM's,
> something from the local parts store?

The OEM shocks are crap. I put Edelbrock IAS on my '03 and they were
really nice. At $75 each, they better be. There are good shocks at lower
price points too.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom