RE: Where can I find FED safety information?

From: Brian (hskr@san.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 20:17:23 EDT

------Being concerned about safety is fine, but when your "safety
practices" start to endanger others, a line is crossed. Wether the cause
for this is because these people don't care
about anybody else or simply have not bothered to think about it, I
don't know. Either way, I don't like it.

I still don't see how having your headlights, or fog lights in my case, can
endanger others. It doesn't blind them, and if it's that big of a
distraction to see headlights in the oncoming lane during the day, god
forbid that person ever drives at night. I'd hate to have had you on any
safety committee when they first started putting headlights on cars.
"headlights blind the oncoming drivers and cause a huge distraction when
driving. They shouldn't be allowed"

------ Not necessarily. Volvos were known for years as being a very, very
safe car, and it was a huge selling point. People who were concerned
about safety for themselves and their families gravitated towards the
Volvo for this reason. However, Volvos are absolutely notorious in the
motorcycling community for being bloodthirsty killing machines. :-)
They earned that reputation because these drivers who seemed to be so
concerned with safety apparently just wanted to wrap themselves in a
protective cocoon and drive like imbeciles; to blazes with the rest of
the world.

Well, I don't drive a Volvo, so I'm good there. Guess I can keep using my
lights during the day. But honestly, I don't see too many Volvo's on the
road compared to other makes. And that's like saying people drive worse
when wearing a seatbelt because they fell they are safer. Or in the case of
motorcycles, they are more dangerous when the rider is wearing a helmet and
leathers because he wrapped himself in a protective cocoon and start driving
like imbeciles. Oh wait, I guess that is true since most bike riders feel
the need to centerline cars on the freeway and at stoplights when they can
barely fit and then wonder why they get hit so often.

---On the surface, perhaps, but the actual implications of the action
lead me to a different conclusion.

Implication of the action?? That's like saying people purposely run with
their headlights on just so they can drive worse. Which leads me back to
the whole thing comparing the motorcycle safety gear to this. I suppose you
don't agree with motorcycles having headlights on either?? There's no
difference.

------If there is a need to alert
others to your presence due to diminishing light, fog, rain, etc. then
absolutely, turn those lights on, or use your running lights if it is
legal and prudent to do so. However, on a clear, bright day, under
most circumstances there is absolutely no reason for your lights to be
on.

Guess you've never driven on roads on a hot day. The heat waves coming off
the pavement hide oncoming cars, especially if the road is straight. Having
headlights on makes them more visible, and this is on clear sunny days that
should be the "safest." One cannot predict when to turn on or off their
lights for optimal conditions, so it's just safer to leave them on.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:57 PM