Re: When to change tranny fluid,or forget it.

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2007 - 18:47:17 EDT

Tom,I have never heard anyone say "Just leave the
fluid in there". But I have heard literally tens of
people say "Don't change the fluid." Two totally
different things! One has absolutely nothing to do
with the other! :)

No,what I have heard is "Unless you're having
trouble,don't mess with it." I have also heard "Don't
mess with it unless you're having trouble". The third,
somewhat less common variant I've heard from people is
"Mess with it? Don't! (Unless you're having trouble)".
I had an English teacher tell me that once.

Steve P.

--- Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Steve Preston wrote:
> > I've heard this from several people over the years
> and
> > Bernd also mentioned it recently,about it not
> > necessarily being a good idea to change
> fluid/filter
> > on high-mileage transmissions. My only question
> is,at
> > one point should you just leave it (at what
> mileage)?
>
> I've never heard anyone say "just leave the fluid in
> there". I wouldn't
> recommend that to anyone with any car or truck with
> any transmission.
> Thats like saying, "Eh I won't change my engine oil
> anymore because the
> car is 10 years old has over 100K miles on it and I
> don't care."
>
> Clean fluid is healthy for a transmission. Dirty
> fluid is bad. Its just
> that simple.
>

> > My inclination is to change the filter,and fill it
> > with ATF+4,
> >

> I would say you have the right idea.
>
> --

> The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
> "A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
> and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"

> three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
> http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/
> AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine

Got a little couch potato?