Re: When to change tranny fluid,or forget it.

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2007 - 23:24:16 EDT

Steve Preston wrote:

> Tom,I have never heard anyone say "Just leave the
> fluid in there". But I have heard literally tens of
> people say "Don't change the fluid." Two totally
> different things! One has absolutely nothing to do
> with the other! :)
>
> No,what I have heard is "Unless you're having
> trouble,don't mess with it." I have also heard "Don't
> mess with it unless you're having trouble". The third,
> somewhat less common variant I've heard from people is
> "Mess with it? Don't! (Unless you're having trouble)".
> I had an English teacher tell me that once.
>
> Steve P.

Interesting...

There is a concept many people have yet to warm up to... its called
Preventative Maintenance. There's also a little thing that comes with
every new car and truck called an owners manual! They have these things
in them called words and some of them are arranged into what's called a
maintenance schedule.

Now I understand all too well what its like to be on a tight budget.
I'm no oil company CEO and I'm not likely to be any time soon... but if
you don't do any repairs or service on a truck, because "nothings broke
yet" - and/or you want to be a penny pincher and save a few bucks...
then you are going to loose in the long run. Engines that don't get oil
changed regularly will sludge up and start to run lousy and will fail
sooner than an engine with regular oil changes. Burnt tranny fluid
loses its ability to lubricate and protect the internals of the trans.
Ya know how the ole'man used to pull the tranny dipstick and sniff the
fluid and look at the color? Well if the tranny fluid smells like used
motor oil, or hot metal... and looks orange or dark instead of red or
pink... then its a real good time to change the fluid.

People who wait until the brake pads are chunking the rotors are going
to pay more money for repairs because now they have to do rotors and
pads and who knows maybe calipers... because they didn't do preventative
maintenance.

Oh and while I'm ranting about doing repairs... I want to find the
engineer who designed the rear brake system on 2002-to-current
generation Ford Explorer 4 doors... shove the parking brake return
springs in his eyes and the parking brake shoes where the sun don't
shine... and ask him to try SERVICING the garbage he designed on a CAD
program in some lab... and see if he thinks its such a wonderful design
THEN!

I HATE REAR DISC BRAKES!!!!

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine