Re: Royal Purple motor oil

From: rll (charger69rt@cox.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2007 - 01:58:11 EDT

Subject: Re: DML: Royal Purple motor oil

I too, have heard very good things about RP. But is RP
an extended drain synthetic?

I am currently running Amsoil synthetic in my truck's
motor. Amsoil is an extended drain synthetic. I only
change my truck oil 2 times per year, since I only put
5,000 miles on my truck per year.

I am sure it is WAYYYYY over-kill to change a full
synethic motor oil every 2,500 miles, but oh well.

I will soon be switching over to Amsoil in the front
and read diffs and in the tcase.

Kyle

List

An interesting side note on amsoil.

Aviation Consumer Magazine, or Light Plane Maintenance
Magazine did an article of oils tested by the Shell
Oil ball bearing tester ...this was in the 80s

The tester spun ball bearing while under the load of
a hydraulic press.

They were testing different aviation oils.

Amsoil exceeded the limits of their test machine.

They then added amsoil to the other aviation oils....

they then also exceeded the limits of the test.

amsoil was not happy that it showed the benefit of
using their oil as an additive.

the same article cautioned about using STP as an
assembly lube when installing pistons. the ZLF in
STP would keep the rings from ever seating properly.

sort of a back handed compliment about STP's scuff
protection.

note: my ferrets said i may have posted this before...

could be....

rob/ferts/phx