Re: RE: When did the 4.7 V8 be able to handle E-85??????

From: Miles D. Oliver (moliver@mmoliver.org)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 17:45:10 EDT

  BIg Oil is in cahoots with the E85 producers which is why E85 isnt cost
effective now as all the ethanol is used as an additive and nowhere near
as much is available for E85, which is part of the reason behind the cost
being up there with gasoline.

  You also make a tradeoff with a flex fuel vehicle, You lose mileage
because the vehicle isn't optimal for E85. I know of some documented
vehicles that get the same mileage running E85 only due to the increased
compression ratios and modified fuel delivery. The tradeoff is
that they can't run regular gas and suffer from the cold starting in the
winter.

  A true 'flex fuel' vehicle would have some concept of running a different
compression ratio for E85 and a lower one for gas due to some mechanism of
variable valve timing to reduce the compression ratio when running gas.
We're not there yet.

  If E85 was $.40 cheaper per gallon like it was when MTBE was used
instead of ethanol for gas enrichment, it was cost effective to
run it with lower mileage. Big Oil caught on and worked out deals with
ethanol producers to keep prices comprable so it isn't worth trying to run
it.

  Don't POO-POO E85 just because the vehicle isn't capable of optimally
running it. Its a good concept but when you have to be able to run gas
through the motor as well the there are tradeoffs.

--
  Miles D. Oliver