Re: 4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 00:42:37 EDT

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> My concern wasnt if the trans/engine would bolt up correctly - but that
> the castings in the transmissions are part of how the trans bolts up to
> the truck/van/whatever its in. In the 4x4 Daks, there is a bolt hole on
> the bellhousing that the 2wd's dont have. That extra bolt hole is part
> of a engine/transmission/front axle brace. On 2wd's - thats not the
> case at all. If thats the case, that you have to fabricate anyway -
> then I wouldn't worry - because you can compensate for whatever
> transmission mountings you need.

   Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I'm not really worried about that
kind of stuff at all, whatever metal structure needs to be put in
place to brace it can be added fairly easily. I had figured that
fabricating engine mounts and a trans mount or crossmember was going
to be a given. Possibly some trans tunnel massaging too...

> Actually I think you shouldn't ahve to
> do much of anything at all - that van had a 727 Torque flite originally
> right? the 46RE/RH are not all that different. The
> A500/42RH-E/44RH-E/46RH-E were all offshoots of the Torqueflite 727.

   My memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe the transmission is called a "Load
flite", just because it is installed in a truck/van but I do not recall now whether
it is based on the 904 or 727. I think you may be right about the 727
though, I found a lookup table that seems to indicate that the 904
wasn't used in vans until 1981.

>> Do you happen to know if the 4wd
>> transmissions and the 2wd transmissions both have that provision for
>> the speedometer cable/sensor? I seem to recall that the 4x4 trucks
>> got their speed signal from the transfer case.
>>

> I'm trying to find my Ram or Dakota FSM, to see where the 2wd's mount
> the speedo sensor. I'm pretty sure its in the 2wd tail shaft itself,
> however. The transmissions themselves dont have the provisions, its the
> various "attatchments" if you will... that do.

  Gotcha. Thanks!

--
                                          -Jon-