Re: 4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 23:54:38 EDT

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> That's great news; thanks! I'll also definitely drop Mike a line
> about that tailshaft if I end up getting this combo.
>

>>I dont know what difference the bell housing castings would make, for
>>the van. It may not make any difference at all.
>

> In this case it hopefully won't matter since I can get the engine
> and trans out of the same vehicle in one shot, so I already know they
> will bolt to each other, it will just be a matter of phyically fitting
> them in the van, and there's going to be some fabrication involved
> there either way.

My concern wasnt if the trans/engine would bolt up correctly - but that
the castings in the transmissions are part of how the trans bolts up to
the truck/van/whatever its in. In the 4x4 Daks, there is a bolt hole on
the bellhousing that the 2wd's dont have. That extra bolt hole is part
of a engine/transmission/front axle brace. On 2wd's - thats not the
case at all. If thats the case, that you have to fabricate anyway -
then I wouldn't worry - because you can compensate for whatever
transmission mountings you need. Actually I think you shouldn't ahve to
do much of anything at all - that van had a 727 Torque flite originally
right? the 46RE/RH are not all that different. The
A500/42RH-E/44RH-E/46RH-E were all offshoots of the Torqueflite 727.

>>As for the speedo, the difference between the wire speedos and the
>>cable, is just what screws into the tail shaft. I see no reason why you
>>couldnt run a cable drive... just put it in wherever the electric speedo
>>sensor goes. The sensor is still driven by the same drive that would
>>spin the cable.
>

> That's good to know; thanks! Do you happen to know if the 4wd
> transmissions and the 2wd transmissions both have that provision for
> the speedometer cable/sensor? I seem to recall that the 4x4 trucks
> got their speed signal from the transfer case.
>
> Thanks again, Tom!

I'm trying to find my Ram or Dakota FSM, to see where the 2wd's mount
the speedo sensor. I'm pretty sure its in the 2wd tail shaft itself,
however. The transmissions themselves dont have the provisions, its the
various "attatchments" if you will... that do.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine