Re: 4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 21:34:27 EDT

On Jul 26, 2007, at 22:30, Jon wrote:

> I might have the opportunity to pick up a 318 Magnum and a 46RH out
> of a grand cherokee to install into my '78 Dodge van. The only catch
> is that the donor vehicle is a 4x4 and obviously the van is 2wd. Can
> the transfer case be unbolted from the transmission and a driveshaft
> yoke installed?

you have to swap the entire tailshaft/overdrive housing.

If 42/44 and 46 are compatible I have a spare.

> If that is possible, the only other thing that would
> seem to be a possible problem is connecting the cable driven
> speedometer to the late model trans - anybody have any experience in
> that area? I think the speed sensor on the 4x4 vehicles was in the
> transfer case, but I'm not even sure if it is used for the
> speedometer up until 1997 or so, maybe the earlier vehicles still had
> cable driven speedometers, and it may bolt up or be adaptable?

I just know that the older 4x4s with a cable drive speedo it's driven
from the rear output on the transfer case. an extremely safe
assumption would then be that the same provision is in the tailshaft
of an older 4x2 trans. I'm not sure what options might exist for
adapting to a cable drive. all my experience and reading on that
front has had to do with adapting an electronic speed sensor to
something not meant for it.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |