4x4 transmission swap into 2wd?

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 22:30:06 EDT

   I might have the opportunity to pick up a 318 Magnum and a 46RH out
of a grand cherokee to install into my '78 Dodge van. The only catch
is that the donor vehicle is a 4x4 and obviously the van is 2wd. Can
the transfer case be unbolted from the transmission and a driveshaft
yoke installed? If that is possible, the only other thing that would
seem to be a possible problem is connecting the cable driven
speedometer to the late model trans - anybody have any experience in
that area? I think the speed sensor on the 4x4 vehicles was in the
transfer case, but I'm not even sure if it is used for the
speedometer up until 1997 or so, maybe the earlier vehicles still had
cable driven speedometers, and it may bolt up or be adaptable?

   Thanks!!

--
                                          -Jon-