Re: Pad/shoe minimum thickness?

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 18:12:52 EDT

Hey, Bill...

<> Maybe I'm just being blind (likely), but I can't seem to locate the
specs for minimum brake pad and brake shoe thickness in the FSM. (2000,
 4x4, ABS, etc.)<>

You're not blind, I couldn't find em either...

<> Anyone know off hand?<>

The squeakers will tell you when it's getting near time for a change - at
least on the pads...

<> There seems to still be a fair amount of meat left on my Hawk pads after
 almost 40,000 miles. I'm hoping that what my eyes see is really true.<>

You're probably OK...Like I said the squeakers will tell you it's time -
before the rivets start eating into the rotors...
The shoes, on the other hand, wore until there was about 3/8" (3/16" on a
side) larger diameter in the contact zone...
I made it over 100K on the shoes, but what a Mutha getting them off...I
cranked & cranked & cranked on the star to get em to collapse past the
original ID of the drums...I replaced the drums at that point, too...

HTH,

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +