Re: RE: When did the 4.7 V8 be able to handle E-85??????

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 12:48:32 EDT

If the government subsidies were taken out of the equation E85 would
be about $1.00 per gallon more expensive than gas and take the
subsidies out of the corn production it would be much much higher than
that. Of course without the tax breaks that the oil companies get the
cost of gas would be a bit higher too.

Overall, E85 isn't all that viable at this point in time, but as has
been mentioned it's new in the US. Also keep in mind that the
infrastructure isn't there to support it yet. After all, the
automobile wasn't viable until Henry Ford's assembly line. By the end
of this decade there will be a plant in Idaho set up to use cellulose
(plant waste, wood pulp, etc), while it has comparatively low energy
output it at least wouldn't jack up the price of corn based food
products. I like the idea that was mentioned of using sugar beats.
When I was a little kid I lived in Eastern Oregon in an area where
they were one of the biggest cash crops.

The biggest benefit for the US to switch to ethanol or at least use
more of it is that it decreases our dependence on foreign oil.
Personally I like the idea of not being dependent on the rest of the
world, especially certain volatile parts of the world.

As for waiting for hydrogen, I bet that technology will take a good
10-20 years to be as viable as E85 is, assuming it ever works as well
in practice as it does in theory.

Dustin