RE: 318 upgrade options.

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2007 - 16:51:48 EDT

Depends on how much power you want and how deep your wallet is.

> #1 obviously is to rebuild it as stock.

Cheapest alternative. .020 - .030 overbore, off the shelf pistons,
reconditioned heads or the HD heads from Hughes Engines. Stock intake and
TB to maximize torque. Works with stock PCM, little money, more
performance.

> #2 would be a stroker kit which gets me what, 390?

Very expensive. More torque, custom PCM, same head choices as above.

> #3 would be a junkyard 318 with less miles, to which #1 or #2 could be
> applied.

Cheaper to do #1 since you already have the engine. Good luck finding a low
mileage 318 magnum.

> #4 could be s junkyard 360, to which #3 could be applied giving me ...408?

Depends on the price of the 360. Stroker kit cheaper than 390 but same
other issues.

> #5 Could I drop a 4.7 in there?

Very expensive, labor and fabrication intensive, and little gain over a
reconditioned 318.

> #6 What about some type of Diesel? Could that liberty diesel be fit to
> a Dak? If the size and computer could be figured out, would it have
> enough guts to do the job?

Very expensive, labor and fabrication intensive. No idea on the gains.

> #7 what else?

Punt.

Ray