Re: Exhaust Manifold Flange Bolts

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 02:29:18 EDT

DAKSY wrote:

See? I'm replying to your post :-P

> Hey, DML!
>
> Need some info...Anybody know the thread pitch & length of the bolts at
> manifold/exhaust pipe flange?

Nope

> The DAKSY started to roar this AM & I shut er down to attend to other
> things...like finishing the siding on the
> A-frame ...NO MORE 40 FT LADDER!

No Ladders = Good Thing (TM)

> As everybody who's been here a while knows, my attempts at flight have
> yielded disastrous results!

I also advise against ammature attempts at being a submarine captain...

> Anyhoo, a bud & myself took a peek underneath & there were the remains of
> one of the bolts & one is MIA...

Never seen a bolt just drop out of the flange before... but I guess its
possible obviously.

> the remaining one is so MAHTZOED that I can't even SEE a thread no less use
> a pitch gage on it.

First of all let me congradulate you on your wonderful selection of
words such as "MAHTZOED" - I really laughed when I read that LOL

> We managed to locate a coupla substitutes, but if I can get the correct
> grade - without traveling to CPDW to the parts dept., I feel much better.

For things such as exhaust flange bolts - there is no need to get the
vasoline out in preperation for a trip to a Stealership...

> The remaining bolt DID manage to keep the donut in place.

I was not aware the GenIII's used exhaust flange donut gaskets. My Gen
I and II's were all of "flared" style seal. The Y pipe sealed up
agaisnt the exhaust manifold.

> This is all on the left side - above the oil filter...

Don't you have a 3.9 V6, Bob? Unless things really changed that I don't
know about... um - the oil filter should be on the passenger side??

> if the right side
> bolts are the same, I might as well replace them, too, before they disappear
> & take the donut on THAT side with em...
> TIA!

As has already been said, regular ole grade 8 hardware will work just
fine. Thats what I used to join up the Y-pipe and manifolds on
Christine. Bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts - all in grade 8
strength.

50 seconds of pleasure, 50 years of regret...
Wookiee Love is pointless - Anarchy Steering Committee
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine