Re: '95 dakota 5.2L 4x4 ball joint replacement

From: David Margrave (david.margrave@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 15 2007 - 23:07:18 EDT

> NAPA sells DANA ball joints (part # 260-1048 - about $45+tax each) for
> your truck, the NCP Napa Chassis Parts are a very good quality ball joint.
> Thats what I put in Christine and I was really impressed with how hefty and
> tough they are. Don't go with the Master Ride economy parts - they arn't
> junk - but the top of the line DANAs are much better.

Thanks for the feedback on the source of NAPA suspension parts. I had
a runaround with NAPA today, they said they had Moog on the phone,
none at their store but 20 at the main store 25 miles away, and then
when I get there the story changes, and they have the NCP-260-1048
like you mention, but the counter guy didn't know squat about the
actual Mfr. of the part and so I passed. If I'd known it was actually
a Dana part I'd have gone for it (I used to work in an auto parts
store long ago, so hopefully I know the good brands from junk).
Instead I just got an air filter, and when I got home to install it (I
took a different vehicle to the store) I discover that the filter has
a big dent in the mesh. So I returned it and went with an OEM from
the dealer, I've wasted enough time at NAPA today.

What would you pick between Moog and Dana if the price was roughly the
same ? Hopefully you'll say Moog because I really don't want to go
back to NAPA, I'll have a fit!

amazon.com has Moog parts and has the special tools

Moog K778
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000C59Z0Y

socket (similar to C-3561)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000HHZB0U

ball stud remover (hopefully similar to C-3564-A)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000Q6OXPG

I'm not sure I need the C-3564-A tool, as you mention it is possible
to use a pickle fork. I pickle-forked the ball joints on my dodge
stealth years ago when replacing the clutch (you have to take apart
half the front end to get to the darn thing, if you follow the FSM
steps, some others have figured out how to do it without taking the
ball joints apart, but this is the dakota list and I'm rambling).
Anyway one drawback of the pickle fork is that you may damage the boot
and if you have a mishap, like NAPA got the part wrong and you don't
discover it until you're trying to install the new one (this has
happened to me), you've got a problem if you damaged the boot. I
still remember how hard I had to whack that thing before the joint let
go. Later, when working on the suspension for another reason I
decided to just buy the special tool for the stealth and it worked
much better. So if the C-3564-A is only $50 and if it keeps my
blood pressure lower when doing the ball joints on my dakota, I say
it's worth it.

It sounds like upper ball joints are easier than lowers, no need to
deal with springs or torsion bars, etc., right?