Re: Got the March pullies installed. ( was: FSM and water pump.... )

From: sneezer@gmail.com
Date: Tue Sep 25 2007 - 22:17:52 EDT

In article <310427.78402.qm@web33201.mail.mud.yahoo.com>,
dkramarsky68@yahoo.com (Dan Kramarsky) writes:

> I ran the truck last night when it was nice and cool ( 64 deg ) Without
the fan!
> After feeling how much the truck pulls in 1st and 2nd, I don't want to put
that stupid
> mechanical fan back on. ( insert evil laugh here )
>

> So what are my options?
>
> a. Viper Fan mod?
> b. no fan? ( not bloody likely huh? )
> c. Dual fan? like a SPAL dual 14" fan setup?
> d. other?
>

> -dan

There are other options, it just depends on how much money you want to spend.
Me, I'm a cheap bastard. There are some fans you can pull from the junkyard
that will do an excellent job, in many cases outperforming most of the ones you
mentioned. The biggest problem with a GenII is clearance - there is less to
work with than a GenIII. I think you have just about 4" of usable room.

The fans I settled on were a dual fan unit from a V6 powered Ford
Contour/Mercury Mystique. Another option is a dual fan from a 98-03 Concorde.
Both are pretty thin, and pull a great deal of air. They are also pretty easy
to fit in a GenII. Specs I have seen online has them pulling in the 2500-3000
cfm range, or slightly higher. Compare this to a viper/Lincoln Mark VIII which
is in the 4000+ cfm range on high, which most trucks rarely see.

I plan on getting a SPAL PWM controller for it. Looks like a slick unit, and I
have heard pretty good things about it from some of the other car forums.

Kevin