Re: Ripped CV boot

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2007 - 20:46:28 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:
> DO NOT use Quick Boots or "split boots" unless you positivly have no
> other option. They tend not to fit very well and do not last long at
> all. They are intended for emergency repairs.

I would go a step further, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE A QUICK
BOOT. DUCT TAPE AROUND YOUR EXISTING BOOT is a better "temporary" or
"emergency" fix. Even 2" electrical tape is a better option [the
regular stuff is too narrow to be useful unless you back it up with
sheet rubber.]

I once ran a Jetta almost 10,000 miles on a boot that was completely
torn in half and then duct taped togeather. I used lotsa carb cleaner
on a towel to get the outside of the boot squeekey clean, then taped it
up with a Hardees straw stuck through. Squirted enough grease through
the straw to make the whole mess bulge, cut and tape up the straw hole
and Viola, 10,000 more miles of german bliss....