RE: RE: piston slap?

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 14:58:20 EST

They were Sealed Power bearings. That's what the local Advance Auto
Parts store stocks. I made sure to look at the stamp on the back of the
bearings that came out to note whether or not they are off-sized. I
didn't see any block or crank stampings on this engine (For piston
bores, I know about the A-F stamps on the oil pan rail, but I wasn't
aware of bearing sizes stamped somewhere.) On the bearings, I didn't see
any markings other than "std" on the back of them so I just slipped the
new standard sized bearings right in. The rod journals looked just
fine. I really should have left them alone or at the very least
Plastigaged them. I was sloppy. I took off the 3 middle main caps to
check those and they looked fine. To replace the 1st and 5th main
bearing, a whole lot of stuff needs to come off.