RE: 5 Speed auto

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 13:33:40 EST

According to my 2000 Jeep FSM, it was indeed called 45RFE.

> the 545RFE is actually a real 5 speed automatic - no longer with an
> optional 2nd gear - - is this correct?

Not sure but for some reason I believe it still has the 2 second gear
ratios. The 545RFE has two OD ratios. (making it a "true" 5-speed) I
also read a TSB that said my PCM could be flashed to give my 45RFE the
additional OD. (frankly, I don't want it. I've found mine *likes* a little
more rpm.)

> <snip>
> From info I heard from others - that optional 2nd gear made for some
> funky shifting habits, resulting in what was described as shifting delay.

I dunno...never experienced any funky shifting in mine. (I race it *and*
tow with it...but not at the same time...yet.) You get the primary second
gear from a dead stop or a low speed downshift. Above a certain speed
downshift, you get the secondary 2nd gear ratio. (for less abrupt
downshifts according to the factory literature)

HTH.

Ray