Re: Recall Notice

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 12:20:29 EST

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Pindell, Tim P wrote:

>> I'm somewhat obsessive-paranoid about it. I always let the vehicle come
>> to rest on the parking brake before shifting to "park" or putting the
>> trans in 1st or reverse. My mother-in-law has a steep driveway. She
>> parks her Buick and just lets it bounce on the parking pawl. >cringe<

> Hey Tim! I agree and admit I am the same way. I always set the parking
> brakes. I do the same thing - stop with the service brakes - and then
> set the parking brake before I let off the service brakes - then I put
> it in park.

   Yep, I often park on a stone/gravel area outside the garage, which
is level, but has various ruts/undulations in it, so I will usually
pop the vehicle into neutral as I am rolling to a stop, then let off
the brakes and let the vehicle settle to wherever it wants (it usually
rolls forward or back a few inches), then hit the brakes again, put it
in park, apply the parking brake, then shut it off and release the
brakes. Not only does using the parking brake make for a safer
situation with a parked vehicle, but the constant use helps to keep
the system in working order so that it won't be frozen up in case you
need it in an emergency.

> One time I set the parking brake in that truck when I drove it - the
> next time, she drove off with the brake ON - the drag on the driveline
> and the flashing red light on the dash was not obvious enough for her I
> guess heh. That fryed the parking brakes (drum inside rotor) -
> overheated the rear service brakes, froze the calipers, ruined the
> rotors, and eventually lead to the front rotors warping because the
> front was doing all the braking.

   Yeah, I *always* set the parking brake on my vehicles. (Though I
must admit, the parking brake on my '92 Ram is rusted solid and has
been since I bought it - I haven't gotten around to messing with that
one yet; shame on me.) :-) Anyway, although I always set the brake
on my own vehicles, I am somewhat reluctant to do so if I drive one of
my parents' vehicles since they don't seem to for the most part.
(Though I must admit, I have noticed that my Mom does seem to use it
on occasion.) I'd like to think that they would notice that the
parking brake is on, but you never know I guess. On those rare
occasions where I do set one of their parking brakes, I make sure it
is set HARD to make it as obvious as possible.

> I got yelled at for setting the parking brake LOL, and then had to do
> the brake job later in the year.

   Shame on you! I'm guessing you also enter and exit through the
doors and roll the windows down when the weather gets warm? Well,
quit screwing around with that stuff, those pieces (and more) are all
extra things that the manufacturer included for no reason, not toys
for you to play with!! ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-