RE: Subject: Re: RE: OT-MP3

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 14:57:09 EST

> I've been a mac zealot for 12 years - it wasn't until this
> fall that I purchased my first WinTel box - actually an
> WinAMD box... no Intels Inside here.

I'll do MS operating systems, but I won't buy Intel processors either. I
like supporting the underdog. There's just a little more choice in
processor types than in practical desktop operating systems.

> I just recently built my own machine, AMD again - an AMD 64X2
> 3.0Ghz - OC'ed to a mild 3.15 Ghz - and with the help of a
> few friends on the DML, managed to get Ubuntu up and running.
>
> I love my Macs - I've owned 5 over the last 12 years, but my
> issues are with Apple as a corporation. Their greed and
> desire to stay so proprietary with their software and
> hardware - lack of upgradability...

That's one of the biggest complaints here at work with regard to rolling
out more Macs for the desktop. Expensive and proprietary. The same
genetic flaws that drive me to tinker with things mechanical and
networkable also drive me to tinker with desktop and server hardware
both at work and at home. I prefer to roll my own PC. The PC
architecture is like the small block Chevy of desktop computing. Parts
are inexpensive, interoperable and ubiquitous. Oh...and they run
games...