Re: Subject: Re: RE: OT-MP3

From: Christopher Orr (corr@manual-override.net)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 14:12:00 EST

Replies inline.

>> The reaction to that was typical of a wintel owners reaction to anything
>> Mac.

Isn't that the most odd thing? For me, it boils down to, and is
categorized into the following lame
petty disagreements between people:

Apple VS Microsoft
Ford VS Chevy VS Dodge VS everything else
Democrat VS Republican
*NIX VS Windows

At the end of the day, I don't care and generally try not to participate
when I start seeing "ZOMG LOOKS AT MEH AWESOMERXZCROSS5000 COMPUTAR WIHT
6000033 MEBIBYTEZ OF RAMZ!!"

I lost my zeal about all of that long ago when I realized it's counter
productive and you often look like a fool...and most of the time there
isn't much difference between the products you are arguing about (and
are being an unpaid salesman for!!)

> I love my Macs - I've owned 5 over the last 12 years, but my issues
> are with Apple as a corporation. Their greed and desire to stay so
> proprietary with their software and hardware - lack of upgradability...

You know, they say that "His Steveness" is the last person you want to
be marooned on an island with.
It's how they make money. Look at Apple, Microsoft, AT&T, and Walmart.
I think when you get out of the "Mom and Pop" ways of doing business,
things get very shady.

> Plus the recent shift to Intel processors - has left me stale on them.
> Add to that, the fact that the last two Macs I bought have had serious
> hardware issues. The last being a G5 iMac which had both the main
> board and PSU fail. Apple replaced under extended warranties. Down
> time on that box was MONTHS waiting for replacement parts.

Again, not unique to Apple or the computer industry.
On the telco side of things, the company I used to work for had a
$30k/month phone bill for various services.
Indiana Bell/Ameritech/SBC/AT&T bent over backwards for us. We had 1
Verizon line and we were hard pressed to
get them to fix problems by the end of the week with constant nagging.
(A serious money loosing venture, to be sure.)

> I decided to explore the other side hehe

I hope you enjoy your stay. If nothing else, it's a great way to learn
about how things work.