Re: Swap Options for a 1999 5.2l auto 4x4

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 21:57:32 EST

On Dec 26, 2007 8:33 PM, Rick Suter <rick.suteriii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Victim is a 1999 extended cab SLT 5.2l, auto, 4x4 with 120k. It's
> never run as nice as I've always thought it should. The idle has never
> been smooth and recently it stumbles at various RPMs and the tranny is
> beginning to show possible issues.
>
> I'm thinking about a drivetrain swap. Has anyone done a 4.7 or 5.7
> with attached Auto and Tcase in place of the 5.2l and 44re? How tough
> if the entire donor vehicle is present?

The front end of the frame was modified to fit the 4.7 in 2000, so
having a donor '00+ Dak on hand may be beneficial. The front
differential is different between '99 and '00, and that year switched
to a rack & pinion steering to boot. You might have to bring all these
over.

You'll need the PCM, TCM and wiring harnesses for sure. Also, the fan
shroud & configuration were changed in '00, so make sure you have
those.

You might have some issues mating the newer tranny up to your existing
transfer case.