Re: ADMIN: Dakota Mailing List Ettiquite [Monthly Posting]

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 12:14:04 EST

On Jan 3, 2008 11:48 AM, <DodgeDe@cs.com> wrote:

> Hmmm......
>
> There is always two sides.......
>
> I'm on quite a few different lists and sometimes come in on the middle to end
> of something interesting and it is really nice to scroll down the post and
> get the rest of the story. I don't do digest mode as I lose the subject and
> don't like to see replies to a digest # especially when it doesn't have the rest
> of the thread.
>
> As long as the most recent reply is on the top of the post the rest just
> makes it easier for me to catch up.

No, the most recent reply should always be on the *bottom*. You read
top to bottom - the thread should go that way too. One shouldn't have
to scroll UP to read a discussion.

A: You try reading a 20-post thread this way
Q: Why is top-posting bad?

We aren't on Jeopardy!(tm) here. Question goes *before* answer.

> My guess is the "snip" stuff is really left over from the modem days when
> bandwidth and size could be a real problem to some folks.

No, it's more a matter of courtesy. If you're replying to 10% of a
post, why include the other 90% that people have to scroll through?
It's all still in the archives if you want to find the older posts.

http://tinyurl.com/26vezm