Re: 2009 Ram

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 19:48:21 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:

> I'm thinkin I like it too - not in that nastyass brown two tone
> however... I REALLY dig the instrument cluster.

Me too. Actually, I'm a big fan of the whole interior. I'm looking
forward to seeing it in person, you can never tell from a photo how it
really looks. I did grab a pic of the 2008 interior from Dodge's web
site and put it next to the 2009, and it's pretty easy to see that it's
a huge improvement.

Personally, I've been pretty discouraged by Chrysler's cheap plastic
interiors for the past several years. I think there's something to the
rumors of Daimler pushing Chrysler down, keeping them from being too
good so they wouldn't compete with Mercedes (and by "compete with" I
mean "make Mercedes look bad").

The new owners have admitted that there are problems with the interiors,
and they're taking steps to correct that. When they started the
Advanced Interior Design Studio I remember reading that it was too late
to completely re-work the '09 Ram, but they were going to make some
minor changes. If these were "minor changes" I can't wait to see what
they can really pull off on a full product cycle. Apparently they've
targeted the Sebring and Avenger to have their interiors re-worked a
couple of years ahead of their normal design schedule. About time
someone made some positive changes.

> I'm not so sure how I
> like the center console, as I'm still partial to a full bench seat.

I'm pretty sure it's optional. No way they're going to ignore the guys
who buy trucks for work. You might have to get the contractor "work
special" model, but I'm sure if you want a bench you'll be able to get one.

> I don't care for the rear bumper with the exhaust tips bumped up
> into the bottom edge.

That's optional too. Or at least it had better be, that setup isn't
very good for towing.

> If they put a Diesel in a 1500, hmmm... well
> lets say I'm having a hard time with this -

It's pretty definite. Allpar interviewed Steve Williams, Senior Manager
of the body-on-frame product team.

Allpar: There was mention of a diesel for the light truck, Any hints as
to size and configuration?

Williams: All I can say is that it will be a "V" design....you can
speculate further if you wish.