Re: Deer hit!

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 20:09:32 EST

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:53:46 -0500, Barry Oliver
<barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:

> #3 That is the same type of generalized, blanket, one size fits all
> opinion that the soccer mom crowd has toward offroaders.. Most of us
> agree that speed limits are more about revenue generation than safety.
> Our interstate system, for example, was designed to be safe at 75mph
> with cars that were available in the 50's.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_standards
> I would that present that many modern vehicles are capable of being
> perfectly safe at 100mph on those same roads now, merely due to better
> handling cars. Admittedly, however, the average *driver* is has not
> kept pace, and is not 25% better than 50 years ago.
> http://www.buffalo.edu/news/8236
> Unfortunately, the prevailing trend in the US is to pander to the bottom
> 10% rather than the average, "just in case". So if someone's 96 year
> old Grandma cannot safely navigate the road at a given speed, no-one
> else should be allowed to either.

The limits aren't set because of the roads or the drivers can't handle the
speeds. They are set because of what happens when things go wrong. When
you spin out of control at a high rate of speed, you are more likely to
die. Regardless of why you are out of control. And before you say
soemthing about knowing how to drive, it doesn't matter. When you are on
the road with just one shitty driver, it doesn't matter. That's what
happened to my g/f. She was traveling at about 70 mph in the middle lane
when a car from the left cut over and clipped her front quarter panel. It
sent her head on into the guardrail at speed. Car was totalled, she was
"fine". She had two payments left.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure