Re: Deer hit!

From: Dustin Williams (dustinewilliams@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2008 - 22:53:34 EST

>Here's a funny story about a deerstrike on a bike:
>http://www.advrider.com/Fame/Deer.html

I know that exact stretch of highway and can picture it quite well. It
really is a beautiful drive.

> > Go as fast as you want... on a track or closed course. I don't care who
> > is at the throttle or how good they think they are. Those kinds of
> > speeds on any public road is reckless and immature.

I agree 100%. My friend is crazy.

> #1 I don't believe for a second that he was actually going that fast.

The Yamaha R6 is capable of those kinds of speeds, my friend is crazy
enough to drive those kinds of speeds on a regular basis (I think he
sold his R1 a couple of years ago), and when he got busted the
following summer he admitted to the cop (game warden) to doing 120
since the Fish and Wildlife Jeep had no radar and no way to prove any
particular speed, but like I said my friend is crazy.

> #2 I don't know the guy so I am not defending what *he* [allegedly] did.

I do know him, I am sure he is exaggerating some, but over all I do
believe it, after all the insurance company did, although I'm sure he
left out his speed in filling out the report.

>I was riding a Harley once and hit a german Shepard that stepped out
>in front of me and I was only doing about 50. I went right over him but
>though I kept the bike upright, I wound up planting it into the side of a
>parked car in a residential driveway and I went right over the car. Killed
>the dog and ruined my day. Total BS that some guy cut a deer in half doing
>150 on a ricer.....yeah sure.

Harley's are no where near as aerodynamic as a crotch rocket and they
weigh a lot more. Designs that cut through air better would logically
cut through a deer better as well. As per the story as told to me, he
hit the deer right in the belly, which would be the softest part of
the deer and has the fewest bones to deal with. He was able to ride
the bike home after modifying the plastic, but there was enough
damage that the insurance company totaled a bike that was only a few
years old.

As for trying to assume that your experiance at 50 mph would be the
same as a similar experiance (on a much different machine) at 2-3
times the speed, is taking a few liberties. While it's a much
different scenario take for instance riding a dirt bike, ATV, or
snowmobile on water. At 10 or 20 mph it's not going to happen, if you
lay it down, panic, or slow down it's not going to happen. A light
righter on a dirt bike can ride across a small body of water at speeds
of 35 or 40 mph, it's a frequent occurrence at the Oregon Dunes and
many other places and I've seen it myself a few times. I've read
articles about the same thing being done on a Yamaha Banshee (an ATV)
at speeds in the 55-65 mph range, I haven't seen it because few want
to risk not getting it right and having to rebuild the bike due to
water damage. I also know people who have seen snowmobiles at the St.
Anthony Dunes, yes snowmobiles on sand, riding across small lakes at
about 70-80 mph, I didn't believe it until they showed me videos. All
these vehicles did it for short periods of time, they had paddle tires
(or snow tracks) on which are the best at maintaining speeds on water
and did something that would be completely impossible at any lower
speed than they were going, oh an by the way, you could never do that
on your Harley.

I'm not saying you have to believe it, I'm just saying don't dismiss it so fast.