Re: Deer hit!

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2008 - 01:35:12 EST

Terrible Tom wrote:
> I'm just saying that people who think its safe, smart, or a good idea to
> do speeds of 140 on public roads... are not going to convice me they are
> in the right.

I'm not trying to convince you it's right, sensible or common. I was
taking issue with your contention that they should have punished him
more than they did. Having been in the same situation once before [the
speed, minus the deer] I can say with some confidence that a 100+ mile
ticket is no joke. Mine was 149 in a 30 and it ended up costing me over
$4k [good, but expensive lawyer]. Everyone has the right to do stupid
things. Just because the result has the potential to be bad is not
enough of a reason to restrict that. Simple speeding ranks just above
an overtime parking meter violation, and below jaywalking AFAIAC. There
are plenty of bigger crimes for the po-po to deal with [DUI, Drugs,
robbers, murderers, rapists, etc].

Like some Greorge Carlin said:
"Have you ever noticed that everyone that drives slower than you is an
idiot and everyone that drives faster than you is a lunatic?"