Re: torsion bar lift - '02 QC

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 05:40:27 EST

On Jan 30, 2008, at 16:10, Andy Levy wrote:

> On Jan 30, 2008 12:48 PM, Pindell, Tim P <TPindell@otterbein.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone removed/adjusted the torsion bars and/or
>> keys from their Dak, and was it fairly straight forward?
>
> I think the usual trick is to crank on the torsion bar nut the same
> number of turns on each side. May need an alignment afterwards.

Actually you would want to measure from the ground or top of tire to
the fender or frame, and adjust them so the height is even. As Barry
mentioned he has one key maxed out and the other only at 2/3-3/4 of
max. The torsion bars may not be even to begin with, and may settle
at different rates.

When I had my 32s put on way back when, the shop adjusted the t-bars
for me, and added 3/4" to one side and almost 2" to the other. I was
leaning before and didn't even notice it.

The replacement keys simply have more twist in them to begin with to
allow more adjustment with just a torsion bar crank. Don't go
overboard as you'll loose 'droop' travel, and be closer to maximums
on CVs and BJs.

On Jan 31, 2008, at 11:24, WiLieR wrote:

> From my understanding, which maybe wrong, the torsion bar keys do the
> same thing to the torsion bars that cranking them tighter does. I was
> explained to me that "torsion key lifts are for people who can't count
> when turning a bolt tighter," and "the new keys twist the bars in the
> same way as tightening the bars with the bolts."

close but no cigar: to swap keys you have to release the tension on
the bars, so you'll have to measure either way. They just have a
different "twist" of the hex hole in the key versus the stock key, so
the torsion bars start off being more twisted so you have more 'up'
adjustment for a higher target height or more tired bars.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |