Re: Made in China

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 18:46:53 EST

"Tom Byrne" <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:
> McCain will have an easier time beating her than Obama. All McCain needs to
> do is to pick a conservative VP and he will win both the middle and the
> right. Most of the country is in the center to, may, slightly right, McCain
> wins. The Dems should have rolled given Bush's historically-low approval
> ratings, but the Democratic Congress has earned even lower approval ratings
> than Bush. One has to try very hard to earn lower approval ratings than
> Bush, but Congress accomplished the task.

   I am hearing a lot of talk from conservatives who basically plan to
sit this one out rather than vote for McCain. The usual theory which
is advanced is that if the country is going to go to the crapper, why
not let the Democrat party get the credit? (The reasons given for
this opposition is if you look at his history and policies, McCain is
extremely liberal and even his so called strength of national security
is an illusion when you start looking into it and seeing how he has
handled illegal immigration and his desire to treat enemy combatants
as criminals and handle them via the court system rather than the
military.)

   As much as I would not want to see the country take a step
backwards, I can't say that I disagree with this theory. Its a lot
easier for a conservative congress to fight against a liberal
president when that president is in the other party. (compare the
relative success of Newt and the '94 congress against Clinton for
example, as opposed to that same basic congress with Bush - who is not
a conservative - at the helm.) Its a shame, but party lines seem to
override principles.

   As far as advancing conservatism goes, I think a conservative
Republican congress with a liberal Democrat president would fare
better than that same conservative Republican congress and a liberal
Republican president, even if that Republican congress happens to be
in the minority.

--
                                          -Jon-