Re: is this the end of the Dakota?...Mileage

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 19:03:29 EST

"Jay & Dana" <jay&dana@telus.net> wrote:

> So in my 97, 318, which recommends 10w30, that I've used since day one, (
> Mobil 1), you guys say that using 5w30 in the colder temps won't hurt the
> engine what-so-ever ? (gets to -20 degrees C here alot during the winter,
> Canada you know!)

    I wouldn't expect it to be a problem. The 5w30 will actually flow
better than the 10w30 when cold, which is an advantage for startups in
those cold temps, and will flow the same as the 10w30 at running
temperature. The only thing you potentially give up is a little
longevity since the viscosity modifiers have to work harder to take a
5w to 30w than they do to take a 10w to 30w, but for a difference that
small and normal oil change intervals, I'm sure this is completely
negligible. A lower viscocity oil will supposedly not cool the
valvesprings as well as a higher viscocity would, and lower viscocity
will tend to drop oil pressure, but neither should not be a problem in
this case since both oils will have the same viscocity at operating
temp.

--
                                          -Jon-