Re: RE: ...Mileage...and oil

From: WiLieR (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2008 - 01:00:41 EST

I have done a fair amount of reading on synthetic oils so I can
justify using them to others who are "non-believers". A hydrocarbon
molecule is nothing more than a chain of hydrogen and carbon atoms.
The chain length and structure can vary greatly depending on how it
was formed. In crude oil there is a massive amount of variation among
the hydrocarbons length and shape. Even whe refined this variation
still allows reactions to occur when they are not wanted. This is the
purpose of additives. They not only prevent foaming but they attempt
to counter-act thse undesired reactions. Sludge formation is just one
of these undesirable reactions. The variations among the shapes of
the hydrocarbon chains can also cause issues by affecting the way the
oil lubricates a moving part. If the chain is too short then it
doesn't provide enough lubrication on the molecular level. A chain
the is too long can restrict the flow of other chains thus causing
improper lubricant flow and excess friction of moving parts.

Synthetic oils create hydrocarbon chains in strictly controlled
environments that reduce the chain length and shape variations to a
mere fraction of even refined oil created from crude supplies. This
not only leads to a more stable product, but also a product whose
lubrication and flow properties can be easily predicted. This allows
for the use of additives that can be custom designed for those
specific hydrcarbon chains instead of using additives that must work
with a massive variety of chains. This leads to less additives by
volume in a much more uniform hydrocarbon structured oil that can
provide better lubrication due to more actual hydrocarbons per volume
than any additive infused refined oil can dream of producing.

Better stability, better lubrication, additives designed specifically
for its specifichydrocarbon structure; this leads to longer oil life,
longer engine life and better engine efficiency through reduced
friction.

WiLieR