Re: RE: ...Mileage...and oil

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 20:20:59 EST

WiLieR <waffle787@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Better stability, better lubrication, additives designed specifically
> for its specifichydrocarbon structure; this leads to longer oil life,
> longer engine life and better engine efficiency through reduced
> friction.

   Good info, thanks! What you wrote matches my understanding as
well, though I did learn a couple of things.

   Another benefit to synthetic oil is that it fails at a higher
temperature than conventional oil, and I have read that when it does
fail, it fails in a safer manner. (Apparently, conventional oil will
varish and then turn to coke, whereas synthetic oil fails safely to
ash.)

   Also, regarding oil life in general, I have read that oil itself is
never actually "used up". (Except for oil that fails and is converted
to something else like coke or ash of course.) Rather, it is the
additive pack which is used up, and whether speaking of conventional
or synthetic oil, it is actually the state of the additives and the
build-up of collected "crap" which determine when it should be
changed, and not the condition of the base oil itself, which will not
change.

--
                                          -Jon-