Christine's EFI (was: The bottom line is,the 2nd Generation Dakota IS the best)

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Feb 13 2008 - 20:49:15 EST

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> My plans to adapt a factory-like TBI fuelie dealy just seems to not want
> to work. I ran into electronics compatibilty issues between the SMECS -
> the Ram units don't have provisions to control my 46RH trannys
> electronic OD and converter lock up. And a Premag GenII (90/91) Dak 318
> computer is not the same pinouts as 88-89 SMECS - they changed the ECM's
> in 90.

   Tom,

   I assume you have studied the pinouts somewhat on the premag 318
computer versus the pinout for Christine's existing wiring harness
since you have mentioned the difference above. Is the connector
itself the same, and its just that some of the wires have moved
around? If so, have you considered punching those wires out of your
harness and moving them to the locations that match the premag 318
computer?

   It sounds like the Ram computer has the correct pinout already, so
it might be easier just installing a manual button to engage overdrive
and lockup. Hot rodders who install the 46RH do that all the time.
There might even be some electronics available to automate it
somewhat, based on engine speed or something. Heck, if you wanted to
work on something, we might be able to whip something like that up
ourselves. Its been years since I played around with microcontrollers
so I'd have some relearning to do :-) but it seems like it would be
rather straightforward to tie into the VSS and simply disable the
OD/lockup below a certain speed (45mph?), and of course, there would
be a button like stock to override overdrive entirely.

   I did a quick google search, and here is a page that shows how to
have the overdrive and lockup work automatically by using a vacuum
switch as well as a couple of pressure switches:

   http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

   Looks like they are using the vacuum switch to determine engine
load and the governor pressure to determine speed (the pressure
switches are used to activate overdrive and lockup, you just pick a
pressure switch which matches the pressure at the speed which you want
those events to happen.) Might be worth looking into, with your parts
connections you can probably get the parts you need cheaper than they
are selling them on that page.

   BTW, why do the Ram computers not control the overdrive and lockup?
Didn't Rams use the A518/46RH too?

--
                                          -Jon-