Re: ADMIN: Dakota Mailing List Ettiquite [Monthly Posting]

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 12:22:57 EST

Jon,I re-read your guidelines and recommendations and
stuff,and I agree 1000%!! But I feel there should be
just a little more...

What about personal etiquette? What about what we
should be doing while on the DML that others may not
be able to hear or see?

For instance....posture. Are we fully erect while
posting? This is important. We can't be slouchers. Our
wives could tell us if we're falling short in this
regard. Secondly,do we have both elbows on the
computer desk,or are we laying both hands on the
laptop as we type? I pray not,but we can't just assume
that everyone on the list has even the most basic
manners,especially those that happen to reside in the
lower half of the U.S. We just can't. So Jon,anything
you could add to the monthly posting in that vein
would be helpful as well..

The other thing that has been "overlooked" by many is
our choice of words. I know we've been pretty good
with not using vulgarity,especially when compared with
other lists. But what about the lack of polite
language? Let me cite a possible example that we could
mull over,maybe:

"Bernd,my Dak is coming up P0155,but I've changed the
O2 sensor. Prithee that you could give me some
pointers?" (Prithee is Old English for "I pray
thee",and just sounds polite,even today.)

Now,be assured that I'm only trying to help the entire
list,and am NOT attempting to compensate for any
insecurities,lack of self-esteem,or several mental
issues on my part.

And list,....thanks. Really. Thanks to you,I believe I
have found my voice. :)

Steve P.

--- jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> This file is automatically posted monthly to
> the Dakota
> Mailing List, and is also available in an
> HTML version at:
>

> http://www.dakota-truck.net/rules.html

> For information about list commands, send an
> e-mail message to
> majordomo@dakota-truck.net, and put "info
> dakota-truck" (no quotes) in the
> body. Or, you can use the WWW gateway on the
> DML Home Page.
>
> (http://www.dakota-truck.net/CGI-BIN/dml.html)

> This document contains some rules, suggestions,
> and guidelines for
> messages which are posted to the Dakota Mailing
> List. In general, these
> are suggestions and guidelines, more than hard and
> fast rules. It would be
> cool if everyone followed these suggestions all the
> time, but there is
> certainly room for deviation. (I'll be the first to
> admit that I've
> strayed from these from time to time.) :-) Well,
> here they are:
>

> Replying To Messages:
>
> When replying to a message, please incude
> only the relavent portions
> of the original message. For example, a post
> might bring up four or five
> seperate points. If you're only going to
> address one of those points,
> instead of quoting the entire original message,
> only include the portion
> of the message which contains the point you're
> responding to. This will
> greatly decrease bandwidth useage and it will
> make posts to the list
> much easier to read. However, if a little
> snipping is good, more
> snipping is not necessarily better. Be careful
> not to snip *too* much!
> Leave enough of the original message so that the
> reader can tell what is
> going on.
>
> When replying to seperate parts of a
> message, it is a good idea to
> insert your replies in with the original
> message, rather than responding
> to all the points at the end of the message in a
> big block. For
> example:
>
> Original message: Your reply:
>
> Point 1 Original
> poster wrote:
> Point 2 >Point 1
> Point 3 Your
> response to point 1
>
> >Point 2
>
> Your
> response to point 2
>
> >Point 3
>
> Your
> response to point 3
>
> Now, if someone wants to respond to your
> points, they just insert them
> at the appropriate location. Be sure to leave
> some space between the
> original message and your replies, to make it
> easier to tell the two apart.
>

> Binary Attachments:
>
> These are not good. Please don't attach files
> to your posts. If
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Be a better friend, newshound, and