Re: Removing sun visor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Apr 16 2008 - 17:45:46 EDT

"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
> Just wondering how much fun I'm in for, and what I can do to make it easier to
> re-install.

   Like Bob mentioned, you will need to disconnect the wiring,
depending on how that was originally done, that might be interesting.
You may end up cutting it, in which case you might want to use some
quick disconnects to wire it back together to make future uninstalls
easier. (Or wire nuts are probably just as good.)

   Depending on the condition and quality of the screws, I might be
concerned about them being rusted into place or turning into powdered
metal when you try to remove them.

   When you remove the visor, you may want to put some little pieces
of duct tape or something over the holes, just so the weather won't
get in before you have a chance to reinstall the visor. It would
probably be a good idea to pick up some more sealant just so you're
ready. The auto parts store may have something designed specifically
for trim/weatherstrip type sealing, but if not, some RTV type stuff
will probably do the trick. If it were me, I'd look for a type of RTV
which is non-hardening so it will remain pliable. New screws might be
in order, depending on the condition of the existing ones, and if you
do need to buy new screws, you might as well get stainless. If you
want to go a bit overboard, perhaps some o rings for around the
screws. I'd squirt a dollop of RTV into the hole, then thread the
screw partway in (with an o-ring should you so desire), then when the
screw is about halfway in, a little more RTV around the body of the
screw, right against the sheet metal, then tighten it down.
(Actually, I suppose if you use a big enough blob before you put the
screw in, that should be sufficient - just so some RTV stays on top of
the hole when the screw goes in and then gets compressed between the
body and the visor.)

   Sorry to hear that you need a new windshield! There's always
something. :-P Is there an interesting story behind this
development? :-)

--
                                          -Jon-